Fiberglass insulation helps keeps heat inside your home in winter and outside in summer and is the most frequently installed residential insulation both in new construction and as an upgrade to existing materials.
It’s available as roll-out blankets called batts; sized to fit between attic joists or inside wall voids. It also comes in the form of loose fibers blown in under air pressure through hoses. When proper installation procedures are observed and the insulation is maintained according to manufacturer’s recommendations, supposedly fiberglass has a long useful service life. But just how long does it last?
Manufacturers of fiberglass insulation state that the expected service life of their insulation, under ideal conditions is usually around 100 years! How true is this and just how ideal do conditions have to be?
The reality is that unless conditions remain perfect it will deteriorate to a point that it is allowing a property to lose a lot of energy and heat relatively quickly! The problem with fiberglass insulation is not that it degrades, but the sheer number of reasons that can cause the lifespan of the insulation material to reduce. Here are some of the key reasons existing fiberglass may no longer be effective:
1) Mould Growth – water damage can often lead to harmful mould growth, which can influence the effectiveness of the insulation material.
2) Dirt and Grime – an insulation material that has started to become dirty or very dusty will not work as effectively as it once did.
3) Insulation Settling or Moving – over time loose insulation can settle and fall through gaps, causing the insulation to stop performing as well.
4) Water Damage – when water gets into some insulation materials, like fiberglass, it can cause the insulation to degrade faster and stop being as effective.
5) Physical Damage – any form of physical damage can stop an insulation material from properly insulating your roof, floors, walls or ceilings.
In a traditional cold roof system, the dew point (where the external cold air meets the internal warm air) is located within the fiberglass insulation layer! As liquid vapour, omitted from a property condensates and forms pools of water it happens within the fiberglass. Over a relatively short period of time many things happen that we already know deteriorates the performance of the insulation! Firstly, the water builds up which prohibits the fiberglass’s ability to insulate properly by blocking the natural pores of the material. As the liquid levels build, this encases dirt and grime and also promotes mould growth, once again drastically restricting the capabilities of the insulation. Also, the vapour quantity, that rises and falls within the fiberglass will cause the insulation to move resulting in airgaps forming and material loss.
So, having ascertained that fiberglass has not got the shelf life we once thought and the reasons its losses performance value so quickly, what do we use instead?
Lapolla spray foams are one of the most effective insulation solutions around, and are quickly becoming a preferred choice for consumers. Energy prices have been rising year on year, regardless of who your supplier is. As a result, more and more businesses and homeowners are looking for quality insulation systems that can keep a structure warm without incurring excessive costs and has a genuine lifetime of the building shelf life.
Originally the sole reason to install insulation was to reduce heat loss through the inadequate insulated ceilings and walls, but lapolla spray foam insulation offers so much more. Here are some of the great benefits:
• Incredible thermal capabilities that reduce heat loss by at least 50%, saving you money
• It is completely maintenance free and will eliminate mould growth and condensation
• Improves the homes air quality and creates an even temperature throughout your home
• 25 year warranty to protect your financial investment
• Enhances the value of your property by reducing the epc rating
• Drastically reduces noise intrusion like no other standard insulation on the market
|What makes Spray Foam more advanced than Fiberglass?||Spray Foam||Fiberglass|
|COMPLETELY SEALS AN AREA LEAVING NO CRACKS, GAPS OR OPEN AREAS||√||X|
|PROVIDES AN AIR BARRIER||√||X|
|DRASTICALLY REDUCES HEAT!||√||X|
|PROVIDES AN UNRIVALLED MOISTURE BARRIER||√||X|
|SAVES UP TO 45% ON ENERGY CONSUMPTION||√||X|
|PROVIDES AN EFFECTIVE SOUND BARRIER||√||X|
|DECREASES DUST AND AIR POLLUTANTS LEAVING A HEALTHIER PROPERTY||√||X|
|MOULD RESISTANT AND STOPS MOULD GROWTH||√||X|
|HAS A 25-YEAR GUARANTEE||√||X|
Why Should You Choose Eco-Energy Spray Foam Insulation?
- Help you save money on energy bills
- Help to keep a constant temperature
- Protect you from the cold.
For Spray foams for your Lofts, under floors, Walls, New Build and Commercial Properties, Eco-Energy Spray Foam Insulation is the way to go.